When it comes to buying cars, you can’t beat touching, feeling and test driving. It’s echoed in recent research showing online car sales are regressing post-pandemic.
Just 4% of car buyers plan to make their purchase online according to a recent survey by NTT DATA down from 15% 12 months ago. And another recent survey by What Car? showed very similar results.
Commenting on this decline, Dominic Rowles, automotive client partner at NTT Data, said: "I do think there is a trust issue to overcome when buying a car this way (online)” Meanwhile Professor Jim Sakar, The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI), said "The advantage a car dealership has over online is the value it adds, from physically presenting a vehicle to servicing it. In contrast, there is jeopardy attached to buying online. Most people would prefer to see the car they're considering buying and, looking ahead, I expect this to be even more important in the case of those buying electric vehicles."
But how do you entice potential customers down to the retailer?
Especially when most showrooms are not in areas with huge amounts of passing trade. Who wants to spend their weekends at a car dealer anyway? According to Auto Trader UK ‘Confident Car Lovers’ only make up 39% of the UK population; they are buyers who are knowledgeable about cars and have a strong interest in them outside of the car buying process. In contrast, the remaining 61% are less enthused and typically lack confidence or passion for buying a car.
It’s a challenge that We Are Acuity are well used to dealing with. How do we get customers into retailers, thereby getting bums on seats for a test drive? Because we know that typically at least 33% of customers who test drive will buy a car. It can be even more of a challenge for a relatively new or emerging brand, like our client DS Automobiles UK. It’s a brand that draws inspiration from the French luxury industry, combining performance, design and bespoke technology in exceptional vehicles.
When they launched their recent DS Brand Experience programme in showrooms across the UK they came straight to We Are Acuity to engage with local audiences through a range of targeted brand activity driving awareness and bookings. It’s exactly what we love doing, and the programme was a real success. If you would like to make your national and local Event Marketing awesome, please get in touch today. We’d love a chat!
If you’d like to create a successful brand activation amongst your local partners, whether branches, retailers, dealers, franchisees, or affiliates get in touch today. We have capacity right now! Why not schedule a FREE 30-minute assessment today here? It will be well worth your time.
Or alternatively read more about Local Marketing on our blog page "Local Thinking': https://www.weareacuity.com/local-thinking-our-blog